English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses at Michigan State University seek to help international students improve their English language abilities through credit-bearing language courses taught by English Language Center faculty.
- help prepare international students for the demands of university-level work in English.
- allow qualified students to take academic coursework while enrolled in this program.
- are credit-bearing courses.
For a detailed description of each EAP course, please see the EAP Curriculum Document.
EAP students include
- advanced students who are not seeking a degree at MSU, but who want to improve their academic English skills.
- already enrolled, degree-seeking international students at MSU students who have not met MSU’s minimum proficiency requirement in English.
Students cannot apply directly for English to Academic Purposes courses. To apply, students must apply to the Intensive English Program.
Once accepted, students take a placement test, the MSU English Language Test. Students are then placed into either Intensive English Courses (not credit-bearing) or advanced English for Academic Purposes courses (credit-bearing) based on the results of that test.
For application information, visit the Intensive English Program page.