Dr. Wu-Yi So Scholarship Fund, English Language Center
The Dr. Wu-Yi So Scholarship, presented at the conclusion of fall semester, is awarded to select international students who are provisionally admitted to a degree program at Michigan State University and enrolled in the English Language Center Intensive English Program in the fall and spring semesters of that academic year. Students from China, Taiwan, or Hong Kong will be given preference in the selection process.
This scholarship was created by the family of Dr. Wu-Yi So, a teacher to international students learning English as a Second Language at the MSU English Language Center in the 1980s. Dr. So was born in Taiyuan in Shanxi Province and completed two Masters degrees and a PhD in the United States. Her Ph.D. research focused on integrating first language and second language approaches to writing. In memory of their mother, the family wishes to recognize and encourage students who seek mastery of the English language in order to pursue higher education at Michigan State University.
For consideration, applicants must be:
- provisionally admitted to a degree granting academic program at Michigan State University and demonstrate strong potential to succeed.
- enrolled full-time in the MSU English Language Center Intensive English Program or English for Academic Purposes spring or fall of the current academic year.
- willing to express acceptance and appreciation of the award, if granted, in writing to the family of Dr. Wu-Yi So within six weeks of notification of the award.
Up to 3 scholarships of at least $250 each
PROCEDURES FOR STUDENTS:
Interested students should:
- review required online application information.
- request recommendations from two of your ELC instructors.
- submit your application by November 1.
Scholarship Awardee(s) will be notified the first week of December.