The Intensive English Program (IEP) at Michigan State University seeks to help international students improve their English language abilities through full-time course work within the English Language Center.
IEP students are:
- international students at MSU who need to improve their English Language skills before beginning academic coursework.
- individuals who are not seeking a degree at MSU, but who want to improve their English skills.
- If you are not currently an MSU student, please apply for this program through the ELC directly.
- focus on academic English.
- range from beginning to advanced (Students are placed into levels depending on their scores on the MSU English Language Test).
- include reading, writing, grammar, speaking, listening, vocabulary, and special content-based courses.
- provide 18-20 hours of instruction per week.
- orientation sessions to help students navigate cultural and academic life in the U.S.
- cultural enrichment activities and field trips. (additional activity fees are required for some events)
- short programs (4, 8, and 10 week programs) that will join full-semester programs already in session. Instructors are aware of short program students and will accommodate the late arrival regarding required assignments and impact on grades.